Lead

Nov 6 11 5:47 PM

Tags : :

I had 2 tins of green coach enamel in my garage(s) for nigh on 30 years. I have used them on the sills of my A35, various trailer parts, a BSA Bantam D10 and. more recently, an Excelsior Consort. The paint always brushes on evenly and all brushmarks disappear. The finish you can obtain with a little cutting and polishing is amazing, so much so that the Excelsior won a pot at the Bristol Show. The first tin dried up a couple of years ago and now the second tin is nearly empty so it seems that my paintwork will never be as good again

I have tried all sorts of different paints ( PJ1 is a favourite but needs a warm dry enviroment to be any good) but they all have the same problem - they all seem to react to eachother! I was used to this with the old cellulite but now it seems that acrylic spray cans also make excellent paint stripper if the base coat isnt the same type - it has just removed the shiny new enamel from Doris's replacement forks - I thought a final spray coat would finish them off nicely
I have also had to remove all the acrylic coach paint from the New Imp because it hadn't bonded to the red lead undercoat. At least it peeled off in sheets!
Smoothrite is good but too thin in spray cans so either dosn't cover or sags and runs.

I think the only answer is to chuck away anything that was bought before the rise of the Safety Elf and then only use the same type of paint on each job.
There is still room for error though, a recent purchase of specially mixed 2 pack spray cans refused to go off properly - they had only forgotten to add the hardener! I only found out AFTER the transfers were on and the coachlines added.
Can anyone out there recommend a foolproof type of brushing paint that will give a good hard finish suitable for cutting and polishing and that won't be stripped off by the dreaded ethanol, or do I have to dig deep and have everything powder coated?

Old codger on a touring 350 Bullet or 98 Excelsior

Quote    Reply   

JimAllen

#1 [url]

Nov 6 11 7:52 PM

Wilko's exterior black drain pipe enamel paint or something they used to call transport polyurathene black. I have heard that Dulux exterior paint is good as well.

Jim Allen.

Jim Allen motorcycles Ltd/ Holton le Clay Garage Ltd
www.jimallenmotorcycles.co.uk

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 6 11 9:48 PM

Tekaloid is or was the brush on paint used by restorers of horse drawn coaches ,steam engines fair groung rides etc .One of my old friends used it on his old Aerials with show winning results .Having just been involved with a decorating job in which the emulsion paint reacted with the filler .It would seem that so much developement now goes into getting products through the enviromential legeslation . This ensures the product is manufactured with low carbon emmissions etc and can be disposed off with no adverse effects to the enviroment is done regardless on how the product carrys out it's intended task .

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 7 11 1:43 PM

Thanks Jim, the enamel that the acrylic spray removed was an enamel very similar to Wilko's but called Blackfriars QD90. It has been very good in the past but has gone a bit treacly now and is a tad soft when dry so maybe I need a new tin.
I now seem to remember you telling me that the New Imp had been painted with polyurathane coach paint, not acrylic, and seeing that it has peeled off in sheets (all be it shiny sheets) I dont think I will go there.
My plan for that bike is powder coat for the frame and forks (frame done - looks terrific and at very reasonable cost from CJ); PJ1 for the tank - first few coats on and cut back, just waiting for the warmer weather before final finishing; tinware sprayed with acrylic squirt cans using identical primer and gloss. I have already painted the rims and spokes with the QD90 mentioned above, and as I am looking for a smart useable bike rather than a concourse pot chaser that is never ridden I am happy with that. Also to that end I have sprayed the gear lever, its gate and the inverted levers with silver Hammerite Smooth - but may nickel coat them later with a home kit if Jim will teach me how it is done

Old codger on a touring 350 Bullet or 98 Excelsior

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 7 11 9:13 PM

sorry to hear of the troubles; I tend to steer clear of such things as I am an expert in getting a lumpy porrige effect and not much else. I recently re-painted the battery frame and strap on my Enfield with smooth Hammerite only to find it lifting as you describe - never come across this sort of thing before. good job we all like differnt things!
Steve

steve g

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help